Supreme Court issues TRO for COMELEC to stop proclamation of Party-List winners


The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) in the light of a set of rules issued by the Supreme Court has disqualified the Senior Citizens Party and 10 others from the party-list race and their votes to be considered stray votes

The Comelec has already proclaimed 38 party-list groups for the 53 seats allotted for sectoral representation in the House of Representatives last May 24 and 28. Only five seats remain unoccupied.

Brillantes said that if the SC allows the counting of votes of disqualified party-lists, including Senior Citizens which got at least 600,000 votes, it would affect the final results of the party-list race.

“We now leave everything to the SC,” he said.

“Most of the 12 [disqualified party-list groups] no longer have any chance of getting a seat. Maybe only the top two will have a chance to get a seat, depending on the final decision of the SC,” Brillantes said.

In effect, Brillantes said the TRO validates the previous proclamations of the Comelec.

“My interpretation of this [TRO] is that they validated already our previous proclamations, only the five [remaining unproclaimed] have an issue,” Brillantes said.

“I still believe that the remaining five are still the ones which will be proclaimed, Senior Citizens will still not be able to win, we have to maintain our position that they are disqualified,” he said.

The group was disqualified by the poll body due to alleged illegal term-sharing of its representatives in Congress.
Petitioners said their disqualification was a violation of the constitutional right to due process, saying they were not given a chance to contest the Comelec ruling.

They also argued the violation of term-sharing policy was not among the grounds for disqualification laid down by the high court in its decision last month on 52 disqualified party-list groups.
They added their disqualification would disenfranchise the over 600,000 votes they garnered in the elections.

The Senior Citizens placed 10th in the party-list race after garnering over 600,000 votes.
But Brillantes said the high tribunal would still issue a resolution on the merit of the cases of disqualified party-list organizations.
The TRO was issued after several disqualified party-lists asked the high court to order a recount of votes.

Brillantes said he will request the SC for the case to be resolved before June 30 so that when Congress resumes session, all 58 partylists will have been proclaimed.

Comelec is required to file their comment on the TRO within 10 days.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, 52.  She's eligible to serve for 18 years.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, 52. She’s eligible to serve for 18 years.

COMELEC Chairman Sixto Brillantes

COMELEC Chairman Sixto Brillantes

Sources:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/05/29/13/senior-citizens-party-wants-votes-officially-tallied
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/05/30/947933/sc-comelec-stop-party-list-proclamations

How much taxpayers’ money goes to ex-presidents


Last year the American taxpayers forked over $3.7 million to pay for the 4 remaining presidents: George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. And that amount doesn’t include their lifetime allotment of Secret Service, according to the Congressional Research Service.

When Harry S. Truman’s term as president ended and left the White House, he could barely pay his bills, so the incoming administration during the incumbency of Dwight Eisenhower approved the former Presidents Act into law. Since then, all outgoing ex-presidents have been guaranteed an enviable allowance that covers their pension, office, staff, travel, even postage. Those numbers when added means something.

Report says George W. Bush spent $1.3 million last year, and part of that money was used to build 8,000 square feet of office space in Dallas. Bill Clinton also spent close to million bucks on office space. The elder Bush enjoyed taxpayer-funded benefits of $850,000 dollars. Close to $500,000 went to Jimmy Carter.

Former presidents earned additional income besides. Bill Clinton and “Bush 43” pocketed speaking fees from $10 to $15 million mark last year alone.

Wasteful spending is Congress favorite topic these days, you would think lawmakers would try to outdo each other by reigning in presidential perks. But, when Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, introduced a bill to limit costs to a $200,000 pension, plus another $200,000 in pocket change, the bill didn’t even make it out of committee. It was unheard of since then.

Are lawmakers contented of letting ex-presidents run up the bill?
However not everyone is thinking of money. Presidential widow Nancy Reagan turned down her $20,000 pension last year.

Source: Ex-presidents costs taxpayers millions

Comments: Congress and lawmakers themselves knew what amount of money is decent enough for a man to survive for a month in a place like the USA. So knowing this certain amount of money as basis, lawmakers must enact a law to grant benefits to retired presidents based on this amount. Or, they may repeal the existing law to prone down what are in excess of the benefits the ex-presidents are currently enjoying.

Doing so will undoubtedly help the poor Americans, especially those who are on welfare and those without jobs. From stories told by townmates coming home from the US for a vacation, they say America is a land of honey with plenty of cheap food to buy. I asked a sister of a classmate of mine, who just after finishing college migrated to New York City in the 50s. How are her children? Her children didn’t finish college because there’s no use breaking your head when job is plentiful, that was her answer to me. The picture that I’ve painted of America was that of the 50s. That was long time ago.

From what I’ve read American economy is now sick. Banks and some institutions have closed and employees are left without job. My heart goes to the 4 hapless victims who were lured to Ohio to apply for a bogus farmhand job ads listing in Craigslist website. In Ohio Richard Beasley and his accomplice Brogan Rafferty shot to kill them. Their motive was to rob and steal their identities, fortunately the 4th victim survives his injuries and became the state witness. All of the 3 victims were single and unemployed.. They responded to the ads because of the promise of a job. Would this unnecessary killings happened if American economy is okay?

4 American ex-presidents still living

4 American ex-presidents still living

xxx

Donaire-Rigondeaux boxing title fight set April 13


a donaire-rigo face off

Rigondeaux-Donaire face-off

After a delay in complying and submitting his Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) requirement, Cuban pugilist Guillermo Rigondeaux finally made good his promise and turned in a fully accomplished VADA form on the day of the presser.

Earlier Donaire’s camp discovered something wrong in the drug-testing contract submitted by Rigondeaux.  It lacks Rigondeaux’ contact information.

This failure of the Cuban camp to submit a complete and fully accomplished drug testing contract on time as agreed upon by both camps last week, triggers a word war between the 2 sides, with the Filipino Flash hurling a threat to withdraw from the fight.

Donaire admitted his disappointment over Rigo’s apparent reluctance to undergo drug testing.  He never expected to have a hard time forcing Rigo to undergo VADA requirements.

“I did not expect it would be this hard to enforce drug testing on my opponent,” the “Filipino Flash” said in a statement issued to Max Boxing.

Born on Nov.16, 1982, the 4-division world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire issued the following statement to clarify his stand:

“I want to clarify that I am not accusing Rigondeaux of taking performance enhancing drugs but do not agree with the amount of time and wasted effort it took to secure drug testing that he previously agreed to.”

Donaire assured he’ll submit his signed bout contract to Top Rank on Monday.

With Rigo’s satisfying the contract requirement, Donaire  withdraws his threat to back out from the fight.

If God’s willing and with no more problem to come their way, the awaited Donaire- Rigondeaux boxing fight takes place Saturday, April 13 and will be televised live on HBO from New York, Radio City Music Hall.

This is a world title unification bout to determine the division’s top dog.

Officially, Nonito “Filipino Flash” Donaire, was 2012 Fighter of the Year and WBO junior featherweight champion.  He’s 30 years old and holds a boxing record of 31 wins (20 KOs) and 1 lose. Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux is undefeated WBA super bantamweight champion and former 2-time Cuban Olympic gold medalist. He’s 32 years old with a boxing record of 11 wins with (8 KOs).

Source:  Donaire withdraws threat …