The hunt for the Big 5 fugitives is a big problem for Justice Secretary Leila De Lima.
She expressed dismayed over the zero arrest accomplishment of the agency tasked to do the manhunt.
Expressing dissatisfaction, she ordered anew the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to double its effort to arrest if possible all of them.
Up to this very day said the justice secretary, they remain fugitive which causes so much frustration on our part, she told media Tuesday during an ambush interview. Our citizens knew the importance why they should be arrested and made to answer before the bar of justice, she added.
Incentives through a raised reward of P2 million by way of a directive issued by President Aquino in August last year was offered to anyone who could give information that would lead to the arrest of any of the 5.
The Big 5 refers to former Palawan Governor Joel Reyes and his brother Coron Mayor Mario Reyes; former general Jovito Palparan; Globe Asiatique developer Delfin Lee; Dinagat Rep. Ruben Ecleo; and New People’s Army leaders Benito Tiamzon and Jorge Madlos. (The Reyes Bros. and the NPA are counted as one case each, hence the Big 5 list).
The Reyes brothers were implicated in the 2011 killing of Palawan-based broadcaster Gerry Ortega, while Lee and several Globe Asiatique officers are facing charges of syndicated estafa.
Palparan is facing kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges for the disappearance of UP students Karen Empeno and Sherlyn Cadapan, while Ecleo has been in hiding since his conviction for parricide for the death of his wife.
De Lima dismayed over zero arrest of ‘Big 5 fugitives’
Not a single tip on ‘Big 5’ fugitives, De Lima laments